Contra ~ Family ~ English Country ~ Barn ~ Appalachian ~ Irish Sets
I love the sense of community that is created by moving together to fine music, touching hands, locking eyes. Dancers are in the present moment, uplifted, joyous.
The traditional dances I call use movements that have been passed down through generations. Most are based on walking and are easy enough for someone of any age to learn. For more experienced dancers, I select dances with challenge to keep the mind as active as the body.
I’m known for my clear instruction and prompting, my enthusiasm and my welcoming attitude. I’m able to gauge the crowd and adjust the program on the spot to maximize fun for the dancers. I love to travel and am constantly picking up new dances to share, keeping the programs fresh and exciting.
My calling is perfect for dances, dance weekends, dance camps, conferences, retreats, weddings, celebrations and youth groups.
I founded the Louisville Irish Set Dancers. Set dancing is social dance done in a square formation to jigs, reels and hornpipes. It’s not Step dancing as in Riverdance; it’s easier, requires no prior knowledge, and you don’t need to bring a partner. Click here to see a sample: We meet about once each month, usually on the third Tuesday of the month from 6:00 - 7:30 pm at Molly Malone’s Irish Pub and Restaurant on Baxter Avenue in Louisville. Dancing is often followed by socializing over food and beverages. To be notified of the dances held each month please contact me and I’ll add you to my list. IT IS WISE TO EMAIL OR PHONE ME AHEAD to confirm the latest schedule.
Some places where I served as the featured caller or taught dance workshops include:
- Fleur de Lis Fling - KY
- Potato Run - IN
- Balance the Belle - KY
- Kentucky Center for the Arts - KY
- Mountain Arts Center - KY
- Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont - TN
- Cumberland Dance Week - KY
- Kentucky Folklife Festival - KY
- Bear Creek Aquatic Girl Scout Camp - KY
- Kentucky Assoc for Health, PE, Recreation & Dance Convention - KY
- Washington County Workshop for the Mentally Impaired - KY
- Kentucky Arts Council Summer PD for Teachers - KY
- Berkshire Hill Music Academy (special population) - MA
- Arthur Morgan School reunion - NC
- Washington County Public Library - KY
- An elementary school - Pokhara, Nepal
- Louisville Contra Dance - KY
- Lexington Contra Dance - KY
- Indianapolis Contra Dance - IN
Some other places where I have called dances (not as the featured caller) include:
- American Dance Week at Pinewoods - MA
- Christmas Country Dance School - KY
- English-American Dance Week at Pinewoods - MA
- Sugar Hill - IN
- Mountain Folk Festival - KY
- Kentucky Summer Dance School - KY
- Big Fun - Ohio
- Berea Friday Night Contra Dance - KY
- Traditional Square Dance at the Nachbar - KY
- Argenta Community Dance - BC, Canada
- Phanat Nikhom Refugee Camp - Thailand
Return to Home Page